F-104G 26+75 MFG 2 over Mount Olympus, Greece April 1986

F-104G, construction number 683D-7421, company model 683-10-19, built by MBB (Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm)
manufactured by South Group (ARGE-Süd) & VFW; manufactured as attrition replacement aircraft
assembly in Fighterbomber version according contract lot 8 by MBB-Manching starting January 13, 1972
first flight March 29, 1972 at MBB, acceptance date May 31, 1972 by GPS-MBB
modification level "Neptun" as Fighterbomber (for German Navy) with "AS.30" and "Kormoran" anti-ship missile delivery system
Navy camouflage scheme "Norm 76" according tech order "TA-196-3"
26+75 MFG 2 at Eggebek AB delivery date on June 7, 1972
heavily damaged on October 18, 1972 being towed over an open water ditch, nose gear broke away and main landing gear was damaged
to MBB for repair on February 7, 1973, back to MFG 2 on August 18, 1973
February 16, 1984 to Luftwaffenschleuse 11 for AN/ALE-40(N) Chaff/Flare countermeasure dispenser equipment according tech order "TA-1469", back to MFG 2 on March 30, 1984
withdrawn from use and stored June 25, 1986 at LwSchleuse 11; struck off charge order (AVA) February 10, 1989; MAP (Military Assistance Program) transported with C-130 to Greece on May 10, 1989 with 1.995 flight hours
used by Hellenic Air Force for spare parts, but was operational in 1992 with 116 Wing at Araxos AB; last flight from 116 Combat Wing to 132 Combat Group (Agrinion HAF Detachment) on April 6, 1993
withdrawn from use on July 20, 1993; November 18, 2004 it was transported to KEA Hellinikon for maintenance and on June 14, 2005 it was mounted as display coded "FG-421" at the city of Menidi,
east of former Preveza AB, 17 km SE of Arta, Greece; September 2020 last noted.

Menidi, part of the municipality Amfilochia, located by the Ambracian Gulf.

copyright © Axel Ostermann