F-104G JA+240 JG 71 "Richthofen" landing at Wittmund AB during "Richthofentag" April 19, 1964

F-104G, construction number 683D-8044, company model 683-10-19, built by Fokker
manufactured by North Group (ARGE-Nord); KG+144 first flight April 6, 1963 at Fokker-Schiphol in AWX (All Weather Fighter) version under project "Green Hill" (for JG 71)
acceptance date June 12, 1963 by BABwFokker (RNAF-MTA); LVR 3 (Luftwaffenversorgungsregiment 3) on June 24, 1963 for modifications
JA+240 JG 71 at Wittmund AB delivery date on July 8, 1963 in Silver-finish colors; camouflage scheme "Norm 62" according tech order "TA-196" in July 1964
IRAN at SABCA on February 14, 1967 with 322 flight hours, back to JG 71 on April 11, 1967
crashed after night landing in marginal weather on August 15, 1967, aircraft went off the runway and all gears broke away and aircraft flipped over,
pilot was rescued unhurt; declared as damaged beyond economical repair (DBR) at Messerschmitt; struck off charge order on February 23, 1968
repaired as instructional airframe initially with tail of cn 8299, tail exchanged with tail of cn 8328; tail of cn 8044 to LPR 1
instructional airframe (GIA) for TSLw 1 at Kaufbeuren AB on May 28, 1968 with 438 flight hours with old code JA+240 (shadow serial number 2362)
it had still old code JA+240 but had already allocated serial 23+62; BDRT airframe Neuburg AB on May 21, 1984; seen displayed in September 1986; in 1988 it was scrapped at Neuburg.

The pilot, attempting a night landing, executed a missed approach due to poor weather. Visibility was restricted due to heavy rain. On the second approach the pilot touched down
6 to the right of runway heading and  ontinued until the aircraft ran off the right side. The right wheel was shearwd off by a runway light. Shortly after the tip tanks were jettisoned
(pilot does not remember jettisoning them). The tip tank caught on a taxi way lip and flipped the aircraft on its back. The aircraft came to rest on the horizontal stabilizer, canopy
and radome. Since there was no canopy breaker tool installed, the pilot had to wait for the crash crew to evacuate himfrom the cockpit.
The aircraft had 3.500 pounds of fuel, but there was no fire.

copyright  D.von Olleschick